The brief for this assignment was to take the title 'An Army of Caterpillars' and use it as the basis for the visual studies and also as the basis for design for weave.
I decided to concentrate solely on the caterpillar part of the title, as there was so much inspiration in this alone. The colours and textures really inspired me and I felt translated well into the medium of weave. It has been a long time since I did the weave specialism last September/October, and it felt like coming home, getting back onto the hand loom again.
This time we had to make more decisions for ourselves, on the warp threads as well as the weft. We had to warp the looms, (with instruction) for the first time ourselves. A challenge in itself the first time. I was using a sixteen shaft loom this time, whereas last time I only had eight shafts to contend with.
I felt the project went particularly well, but please feel free to leave comments on this work.